Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Bleeding Has Stopped, But Death Is Likely


Have you ever seen a war movie where Johnny soldier takes one in the jugular or the gut and the medic plugs the hole with his finger? That pretty much sums up the Biden/Palin debate. Palin's performance may have stopped some of the bleeding, but unfortunately for her and her party, she's goin home in a pine box. Now I'll be honest, I'm not completely certain how "Joe Sixpack" saw this debate. I suppose the results will hit before I finish this blog entry. But, to the trained ear, as we say in football lingo, she overthrew her receiver by a mile. Sure, she came out swingin. She may have, for a moment, made us think that she was going to actually be able to seem knowlegable about the issues. But, it didn't take long for her to become completely trans-fuckin-parent.

Seriously, what are the McCain advisors thinking? They would have done better staging a Palin motorcade accident on the way to the debate than what they came up with tonight. I will try, for just a minute, to put myself in the shoes of her advisors. "Listen, Sarah, be yourself, but don't try to be yourself." Maybe they said that, but clearly she didn't understand...and should they be surprised? Could she have tried any harder to be average "hocky mom" dumbass? "Say it ain't so, Joe." ?? "Doggonnit" ?? Her tone couldn't have been more scripted and fake. I'm glad the media, yes, even the republican pundits, are picking up on her "folksy" vocabulary and how phony it was. "McCain's a Maverick and I'll be glad ta join em in tha White House." Jesus motherfuckin Christ. Gag me with a hocky stick! This strategy was as weak as my 401K. Who the fuck did her advisors think they were going to appeal to? More of the base? The "Joe Sixpacks" that already have this riDICKulous love affair with the "Baracuda" are already bagged. Why didn't they go after this 9 to 15% of undecided voters? They already have a horrible opinion of her. Why not try and change their minds and ease their fears? Are we seeing old, out of touch campaign strategists that are still running the Wing T, when clearly the 5 Wide, no huddle is what now wins championships?

Palin seemed to have two goals; one that didn't really resonate, and one that probably did well for some undecideds, but probably wasn't recognized on what it turly was for most. The first was her attempt to drive a wedge between Obama and Biden. She seemed to bring up on several occasions that Biden disagreed on many issues with Obama. That was a theme of the McCain campaign shortly after Biden was announced as VP candidate. It didn't really resonate back then, and I think it was a mistake to spend so much time on it now. The second goal she seemed to try and reach was stealing the liberal/progressive message as often as she could. For example, on the economy, all of a sudden a conservative supports regulation and oversight? What? Are you shittin me? All of a sudden a conservative wants to blame the sub-prime mortgage crisis on predatory lending? You sorry, lyin, bitch! You sorry bastards have always been for less regulation and the free market will fix itself, right? Watching the CNN coverage, with their undecided mood buttons, they seemed to like her liberal/progressive responses. She may have scored some points on this. Biden should have acknowledged that, and asked her to come on over to the Obama ticket since she sounded so much like a nasty libersl. That would have put her in her place real quick from the start.

As the results of the opinion polls come in, it seems that Biden is the clear winner. That's about where I stand. CNN reports 51% Biden to 36% Palin. 87% say that Biden is qualified to assume the presendency, to Palin's 42%. However, it is clear that Palin exceeded expectations. Hey, she didn't fall of the stage. She was able to put together sentences better than her interview with Couric and Gibson. Jesus fuckin Christ, I hope so. Debate camp with Rick Davis paid off a bit. Regardless, I think it is still obvious that she has no business as the running mate of John McCain. It is unforgivable that John McCain choose this dumb fuck as his VP. Let me be clear. John McCain has told the American people this: If I die, this is who I trust to lead our country through some of our most difficult times. This is who I think is the most knowledgeable to be president and will do the best job. John McCain is completely irresponsible and this is un-Fuckin-forgivable. I challenge anyone, anyone, to make a case for Sarah Palin. You know, all the pundits said before their were any VP nominees, that they simply don't change the game much at all. Well, maybe, for the first time in our history, we've seen the VP choice that completely killed a pary's chance of taking the White House. Thank you. John McCain.

A word on Biden's performance: He was definitely a second half man. He didn't get into a groove until the second half of the debate. His best moment was when Gwen asked what their Achilles heel was. Palin didn't really answer the question, much like she did for most of the night. Biden responded as follows:

You're very kind suggesting my only Achilles Heel is my lack of discipline.

Others talk about my excessive passion. I'm not going to change. I have 35 years in public office. People can judge who I am. I haven't changed in that time.

And, by the way, a record of change -- I will place my record and Barack's record against John McCain's or anyone else in terms of fundamental accomplishments. Wrote the crime bill, put 100,000 cops on the street, wrote the Violence Against Women Act, which John McCain voted against both of them, was the catalyst to change the circumstance in Bosnia, led by President Clinton, obviously.

Look, I understand what it's like to be a single parent. When my wife and daughter died and my two sons were gravely injured, I understand what it's like as a parent to wonder what it's like if your kid's going to make it.

I understand what it's like to sit around the kitchen table with a father who says, "I've got to leave, champ, because there's no jobs here. I got to head down to Wilmington. And when we get enough money, honey, we'll bring you down."

I understand what it's like. I'm much better off than almost all Americans now. I get a good salary with the United States Senate. I live in a beautiful house that's my total investment that I have. So I -- I am much better off now.

But the notion that somehow, because I'm a man, I don't know what it's like to raise two kids alone, I don't know what it's like to have a child you're not sure is going to -- is going to make it -- I understand.

I understand, as well as, with all due respect, the governor or anybody else, what it's like for those people sitting around that kitchen table. And guess what? They're looking for help. They're looking for help. They're not looking for more of the same.


Joe showed genuine emotion, but held it together enough to not make a scene. It was real and it reminded folks that his story is far more impressive than hers. Joe's wife and infant daughter died in a car accident shortly after he was elected to the Senate. After almost opting not to serve, his family convinced him to represent Delaware; Joe took the oath of office by his son's bedside who were injured in the accident. Biden vowed to serve his country and still raise his sons. Instead of moving to Washington DC, he took the Amtrack train home every night to Delaware to be home with his sons. He still comes home every night to this day. Joe got a little choked up when he breifly talked about this. He effectively trumped any sympqthy Palin may have been receiving for being the poor hocky mom with Downs Syndrome.



Okay, so I've rambled about this longer than Larry King. Yes, I'm drunk. What are you going to do? When you play a drinking game where the only rule is to drink when you hear the word Maverick, bad things happen. When you don't have to be at the office in the morning, worse things happen. Conclusion: Palin didn't fool many people at all; especially the "on the fence voters". She may have plugged the hole, but give this campaign some morphine. It's bleeding out, and it's only a matter of time. November 4th, to be exact.

No comments: